Weekend Box Office: ‘The Lion King 3D’ Remains King of the Jungle
Seventeen years after its initial box-office run, 'The Lion King' is again reigning supreme. The new 3D incarnation of the film, currently in a limited-engagement run, took in another $22 million to land atop the charts for the second weekend in a row.
The rest of the top five is populated by the week's new releases -- Brad Pitt's baseball saga, 'Moneyball,' earned $20.6 million to take second place, barely edging out the Morgan Freeman feel-good animal flick, 'Dolphin Tale,' which came in third with $20.2 million. The thrillers 'Abduction' and 'Killer Elite' came in fourth and fifth, with $11.2 million and $9.5 million in receipts, respectively.
Here’s a list of the top 10 movies at the box office Friday-Sunday with estimated grosses, along with how much each movie has made since its release:
1. 'The Lion King 3D' - $22.1 million, $61.6 million total
2. 'Moneyball' - $20.6 million, new release
3. 'Dolphin Tale' - $20.2 million, new release
4. 'Abduction' - $11.2 million, new release
5. 'Killer Elite' - $9.5 million, new release
6. 'Contagion' - $8.5 million, $57.1 million total
7. 'Drive' - $5.7 million, $21.4 million total
8. 'The Help' - $4.4 million, $154.4 million total
9. 'Straw Dogs' - $2.1 million, $8.8 million total
10. 'I Don't Know How She Does It' - $2 million, $8 million total