Weekend Box Office — ‘Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol’ Refuses to Be Ignored
With at least six movies opening in wide release on various days over the past week, it would've been easy for any film to get lost in the shuffle.
But since Tom Cruise flicks rarely fade into the background, it's hardly a surprise that 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol' brought in $26.5 million to handily beat all its competitors at the box office this weekend.
Last week's champ, 'Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows,' came in second with $17.8 million, followed by 'Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked,' whose $13.3 million put it in third.
Earning $13 million for fourth place was the much-buzzed-about 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,' while 'The Adventures of Tintin' sold $9.1 million in tickets to round out the top five.
Here’s a list of the top 10 movies at the box office Friday through Sunday with estimated grosses, along with how much each movie has made since its release:
1. 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol' - $26.5 million, $58.9 million total
2. ‘Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows’ – $17.8 million, $76.5 million total
3. ‘Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked’ – $13.3 million, $50.2 million total
4. 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' - $13 million, $21.3 million total
5. 'The Adventures of Tintin' - $9.1 million, $17.1 million total
6. 'We Bought a Zoo' - $7.8 million, new release
7. ‘New Year’s Eve’ – $3 million, $32.3 million total
8. ‘Arthur Christmas’ – $2.7 million, $44.1 million total
9. ‘Hugo’ – $2 million, $43.6 million total
10. 'The Muppets' - $2 million, $75.5 million total