What Are the Best US Beaches for Families?
Beach vacations often seem to be aimed at singles or couples — but if you have kids and still want a sandy summer trek, you might find a new list of the best US beaches for families pretty helpful.
Lissa Poirot, editor for the family travel review site Family Vacation Critic, said, “As parents we were looking for certain features that make beaches specifically family-friendly … [those] recognized for their cleanliness, as well as those that provide safe water for young swimmers and plenty of activities for families, within a close walk from the beach.”
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the top choice is in Hawaii — it’s Oahu’s Walmanalo Bay Beach Park, cited for “soft sand, calm waters for tiny swimmers, and manageable waves for new surfers.”
But you don’t necessarily have to leave the mainland for a great trip. FVC gave runner-up honors to Outer Beach in Cape Cod, Mass., which earned high marks for being an “idyllic setting” perfect for “long bike rides, mini golf and clam bakes.”
Here’s the entire top 10 (be sure to check out FVC’s site for additional details):
1. Walmanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
2. Outer Beach, Cape Cod, Mass.
3. Deerfield Beach, Near Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
4. Sand and Elbo Beaches, Acadia National Park, Maine
5. Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Outer Banks, N.C.
6. Shell Beaches, Padre Island National Seashore, Texas
7. Coronado Beach, San Diego, Calif.
8. Siesta Beach, Sarasota, Fla.
9. Rehoboth Beach, Del.
10. Sunset Beach, Cape May, N.J.